Hand Feeding A Baby(Tips, advice, and support needed)

Sumatra503

Kozy Orchard Farms
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
I went out to check babies about an hour ago and the smallest baby, about half the size of the other, as it goes, was kicked out of the nest and pretty cold.

I brought him in, got him warmed up, and fed him a bit of gerber rice cereal, all I have. I mixed it as thick as the hand feeding tube could pick up.

He's perked up a bit, but I'm not sure if it is best to put him back into the nest with his sibling, since it's so much bigger.

I've read they only need fed about 4 times daily, which makes sense, since I hardly see the parents feeding them. I can buy some proper hand feeding formula for him, too.

Mainly, just wanting some support and good thoughts sent my way.

Advice is good, too.

Sure, kaytee exact is the best. I find the parents make a grunting/growling sound to let the squabs know when it's time to eat, it might help. Just use a syringe, some people cut open the nipple of a baby bottle. It really doesn't matter, whatever works for you. And it's fun, he'll bond closely with you and you'll have more than a pet, if you don't watch out, he'll think your his mate!

Thanks. That's what I've read, but wanted to be sure.

So far it's going well.

Sumatra503

Do this every day

Take a few small seeds in your hand, open his beak and plop some in. Repeat a few times until crop is full.

Check his crop to see if you feel seeds that means he's full.

In the summer many pigeons abandon their babies blc it's too hot so I've had to handfeed many squabs this summer

Good luck

He gets fed each time his crop is completely empty. Generally every 4 hours or so. I've been mixing up gerber rice cereal, all I have, and pigeon seeds for his feedings.

It sounds like a good start, I still am a bit lost, this baby is meant to be wild or he's from your coop.

He's from my loft. I have breeding pair of Italian Owls who hatched out babies about 2 weeks ago. One baby is huge and well developed and the other is smaller and less developed. Since the bigger one gets all the food the parents, or the bigger baby, decided to push the tiny one out of the nest.

When I found him, he was cold and almost dead. A little heat and bit of food and he is now active and healthy again.

I've named him Squeaks.

Thats good, Good luck with squeaks if you need anything else just PM me or post on the thread
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom