Hand-feeding or feeder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MedChicken, Dec 27, 2011.

1. MedChicken

MedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Hi all! I just had a question about how everyone on here feeds their babies. Mine get their food in a dish, but it looks like some people on here hand-feed. For those that do, do you hand-feed exclusively or just treats? I want to socialize my babies and they get held and talked to a lot, but if I did 100% hand-feeding, I don't think I could keep up!

Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think most people use feeders even for young chicks. You'll want to set them on a concrete block, maybe with a brick or two fro steps, to minimize shavings in the feed. Depending on the design you may want a funnel or something on top so they don't sit on top and poop in the feed. I just go the the feed store and buy something cheap. I don't like the long narrow ones, I like them shaped more like a small bucket, because they stand on the long narrow ones.

3. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    Since my chicks eat on and off all day, I don't think I'd have the time or patience to hand feed. Maybe I'd do it for the occasional yummy treat.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Me & Jack :

Since my chicks eat on and off all day, I don't think I'd have the time or patience to hand feed. Maybe I'd do it for the occasional yummy treat.

x2. Chicks are little, they need to eat a little bit here and there all day long. Unless you have all day long to sit by the pen I don't see how hand feeding of their regular feed could be practical at all for proper feed intake.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by