Hand Feeding Parakeets

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Rainstorm, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Is it as easy as Cockatiels? Am getting around 10 adults soon and they are coming with about 5-8 babies. Would like to hand raise a few of them

2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    It is done the same way as Cockatiels. But it's not easy at all. I raised Cockatiels, Parakeets, Doves, Zebra Finches and Senegal Parrots about 20 years ago. I hand raised all the Cockatiels but the Parakeets I let the parents do because it was very difficult to hand feed the babies. They are so small and the food easily goes into their lungs instead of the crop.

Good luck!

3. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:Ok thank you, and I dont mean Newly hatched chicks, I mean like at maybe 1-2 weeks old. After their eyes are open and their start getting their feathering, I understand about the lung issue also, I am currently hand feeding a cockatiel during the day when my uncles wife has to work and cant feed him. He's about 3 weeks old now and very easy to do. Lil pig also

The main thing I was wondering if it was hard to do because of the way their beak is? pointing down

4. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    No the beak isn't an issue. Since you plan to wait till they are a little older it may be easier. I suggest you just try it out on one and if it works well for you then do more. It would be a shame to take several out to hand feed and it not work and then have the mother reject them if you had to put them back. Had that happen too. The mother will kill the babies if she decides to reject them. It's pretty gruesome.

I remember hiding chicks at work because I would take them to work so they got fed around the clock. I worked midnights so it was pretty easy to hide them since my boss slept somewhere all night. lol

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Unless the babies that are coming with the adults are being hand fed now...do not attempt it. Parakeets are much harder. It is very labor intense and the babies will be very relcuctant to take hand feeding formula. If you want a tame baby - pick out a baby male and handle him often once they are weaned.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  6. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:LOL [​IMG]

I will try just one but wont the parents reject them or kick them out when They are moved? She wants them gone soon

7. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    They need to move the babies inside the nesting box with the mother inside as well. Close the entrance hole with card board or a cloth - make sure it is secure so she doens't fly out. Then, once at the new destination have the cage set up and hang the cage as it was in the old location and then open the box and leave them alone. Leave the room if possible. Make sure all food & water and everything else needed is in place before you let her out of the box. Make sure you have the right male in the right cages. You may want to transport the male inside the nesting box too. Why can't this person wait until the babies are out of the nesting box. Can any of this be avoided?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  8. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Jus talked to her and she said shed give me a lil longer, but not long enough for the babies to be grown. Guess ill be hand feeding most of them and see if I can find some people to take a few to hand feed as well.

She is a pet store thats going out of business and been trying to get rid of them for the last month

9. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    You'd think she would take them home and at least let them grow up, but I wish you all the luck with them. Move them like JoJo posted. It's the best possible chance you can give them. If possible, leave them in their new place and don't disturb them for a while. They may reject the babies just because of the move. I've had mothers kill their babies because a couple in another cage was having an argument. If they feel their babies are threatened they can kill them. They can also just stay with them to protect them. They can be unpredictable. I always preferred Cockatiels over parakeets but parakeets sell faster. Well, they did 20 years ago anyway. I always sold all my hand raised cockatiels to individuals but I sold my parakeets to pet shops. They didn't pay much but they would take them all. Since I had 200 pair I wanted them all to go. I had 10 pair of cockatiels and I always sold them all also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by