Hand Feeding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chica Lady, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Chica Lady

Chica Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    I read the article
    how-to-socialize-baby-chickens

and I thought that I would give it a try. My chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old. It didn't take very long. Only a minute before they started eating out of my hand. After a few minutes, I let the kids try it. It was a success.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. musikfan6

musikfan6 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    Yep! Right there with you. My little ladies are so sociable now, they EXPECT me to hand feed them. As soon as I get my hands anywhere in the brooder, they are all crowding around to start pecking!

3. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    Chickens are very food motivated. Ours love to eat out of our hands, but aren't very thrilled about being picked up. It's ok though, I don't care if they don't want to be held and cuddled as long as I can catch them if I need to take a look at them. [​IMG]

4. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    I just put my hand in, and used my thumb to knock a little bit of food off of my hand to get there attention. Moving slow the whole time. Eventually, One got brave and next thing you know, it's a feeding frenzy.

5. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    Can I train my older chickens the same way? They are about a year old and I have only had them a week. They were given to me. I dont think that they were handled too often. When my husband went to go get them, it took about 3 hours to catch them. I let them out in the yard the other day and was chasing the roo for about an hour.

6. LittleSticks

LittleSticks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    NW Washington
    My chicks run to the door of the brooder when they see me. Two of them hop into my hand while eating (one has decided she likes to perch on my arm). They still become upset when I pick them up but are getting better about it every day. Definitely food motivated!
    Chica - your one year old chickens should become accustomed to hearing your voice and associate your presence with food. I'd let them settle into their new surroundings for a bit before trying to feed by hand. Move slowly when you are around them and speak in a soothing voice (think the opposite of "Carrot Top"!). I sit with my birds, sometimes talking to them, sometimes reading - if you can do that it will help the birds become more comfortable when you're around. Let us know how it goes.

7. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    When I had mealworms or BOSS to give as a treat I would put it in a red solo cup and as I was approaching the pen I would shake it around a little. Well evidently I was training them! A few weeks ago when we wanted to put them in the fenced unplanted garden to forage etc. I opened the pen, gave them a tiny bit and let them have a tiny bit from the cup, walked towards the garden shaking the cup and they followed me across! We can't let them free range due to neighbors and predators (dogs & cats). At dusk we repeat the process. My husband did it the other day and it sure was cute to see him walking the chickens!

edited to add: once I get them where I want them I give them a little more as a reward, so it's not like I'm teasing them!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by