Hand Mill

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KNAndrs, Sep 26, 2011.

1. KNAndrs

KNAndrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    I found a hand crank cast mill at my Grandpa's old place. I was thinking of buying whole grains, oats or barley or something, and hand milling that for the chickens. Any thoughts on supplemental grains?

I have a bunch of kids at church who love to turn that crank...

Pastor Ken

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Sunds like a good idea to me. I'm thinking of buying a mill to mill flour for bread making. (for me![​IMG])

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Would not getting a food processor work better and easier?

Just a thought

Steve

4. KNAndrs

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    I don't have a food processor... [​IMG]

The mill goes through a quart of corn in about 3 minutes.

Lots of fun too!!!

5. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    i have one and i have used it to mill some things for the girls. the wounder mill jr is what i have and it is amazing and it mills a ton of different things and is so easy [​IMG] i like it because it is easy to adjust the size of what is milled from fine powder to cracked grain and it adjusts by the turn of a nob and comes with both steel burs and stones [​IMG] sorry i get a little excited about this kind of stuff [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

We just bought a grinder at an auction, one of those big cast iron red ones [​IMG] I love it!! We planted feed corn just for fun (and for the girls). Of course now we have a ton of corn, but we only give them a handful about 2x a day for snack. Which means we'll have way too much corn [​IMG] We should have planted something nutritious.

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:I think that is the best one on the market right now. I wish I'd gotten it instead of the Family Grain Mill I did get. The one I have does what I've needed it to do so far, but I just think the one you got is better. For instance, I'd love to make nut butters in one but mine won't while the Wonder Mill Jr will.

A food processor won't grind much in the way of quantity unless you get an attachment for it. Even then it doesn't do the job a good mill will. Warning: Stay away from the cheap ones. You'll wear yourself out. Even when hand cranking the better ones, they are much easier to turn plus clamp down much better.

8. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    Quote:I think that is the best one on the market right now. I wish I'd gotten it instead of the Family Grain Mill I did get. The one I have does what I've needed it to do so far, but I just think the one you got is better. For instance, I'd love to make nut butters in one but mine won't while the Wonder Mill Jr will.

A food processor won't grind much in the way of quantity unless you get an attachment for it. Even then it doesn't do the job a good mill will. Warning: Stay away from the cheap ones. You'll wear yourself out. Even when hand cranking the better ones, they are much easier to turn plus clamp down much better.

i agree. we looked at the cheep ones but they did not do as much and are hard to adjust. i tried different ones at food storage places around here and the wounder mill is by far the easiest to use and has very little parts and is very well made. but yeah if anyone is looking for a mill i highly recommend you look at the wounder mill jr [​IMG]

9. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I miss my old hand mill!

as it is I am using a coffee grinder to grind up food for my baby quail.. and when I bought game bird feed last week for the older birds all they had were large pellets.. so yeah.. having to grind up 50 pounds of feed in a lil coffee grinder is a royal pain!

ah the things we do for our birds! [​IMG]

10. KNAndrs

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    Since we are so cold up here I was thinking of doing a high protein/fat grain.

Any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by