HAND RAISIED ISA BROWN

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by belgianlover101, Aug 7, 2014.

1. belgianlover101

belgianlover101 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    australia
    hello chicken lovers one of my hen is acting like a rooster like hoping on top of a female chicken HELP!!!!!!!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Are you sure that you're chicken that's behaving that way is in fact an Isa Brown hen? Can you post a full body profile pic showing the tail?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

some hens do mount other hens, but it's not common. If your bird truly is an ISA brown, sex should be a no-brainer, especially by the time they're old enough to show mating behavior. Red is female, white is male.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I was wondering if the bird in question might be a red breed of some kind (Production Red, etc.) as opposed to an Isa Brown. If that was the case, it might in fact be a rooster despite its red coloring.

5. belgianlover101

belgianlover101 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    australia
    she it is a hen she lays eggs

6. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I have had a hen that always done that, she is being the dominate hen. She will continue to be a normal hen. I even have hens that try to crow. They don't sound that great when they try.

7. CCsChickens

CCsChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    My four month olds sometimes do that!! I figure they're just mucking around or trying to annoy each other to be funny ahaha! My ISAS are very cheeky as one will be having a nap and the other one will run over and jump on them to wake them up. Not sure if that's a bit different from what you're experiencing, but to me when mine do it it just seems like a bit of fun for them (like when they play lettuce chasey!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by