Hand raising baby mice

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dfchaser, Apr 28, 2009.

1. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    My brothers mouse had babies and mom did not make it. I am not sure why. What can i do to help these little ones make it?

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I see that you have goats. I would feed them goats milk and stimulate them to go potty after each feeding.
    I don't have any specific information regarding raising newborn mice. But goats milk seems to be good for any newborn mammal.
    You might want to do a search online for more specific information.
    Good Luck!

3. dfchaser

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Thats what i was thinking. I know I can use kitten or puppy with KLM, but i really dont want to go out again, i was hoping for a homemade recipe.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I believe Skyesrocket is right, goats milk is the most popular of milk replacers for mammals.

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Warmth is going to be so critical. Too little, too much - same outcome. I'm thinking a mama mouse's temp might be around 104F (at least). Maybe a chick heat lamp with the pups under a light cotton cloth...I know they are not capable of any temp regulation until they have some fur. The other problem we had when my daughter tried to save baby rats after the dogs destroyed the nest (yea, I know) was that they aspirate very very easily. I think the ones we tried to save died fo pneumonia. Good luck.

Another idea...Any wildlife rehab place you can call? Wouldn't be too much different than a chipmunk?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    How many did she have? We hand raised 9 babies (only 5 made it past first week) The mother was a "male, we're certain" from the pet store. We make a nest with shavings, papers and made it in a bowl. Put a heating pad under it but make sure they are warm! We fed until you could see their tummies pooched. Not stuffed, just bigger. You can tell when they're done. We still have one of the babies. She's 4 years old [​IMG] I wish I had pictures, but my camera is messing up BAD. plus she's sleeping [​IMG]

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ok this is a topic I can certainly shed some light on! I work with mice..I hate to say this but..the babies..( neonates)are they bright pink with their eyes sealed shut-no hair? If this is the case they will NOT survive without their mother-they are too small-IF they have hair-let me know-even peach fuzz??? and if there is hair what color?

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:seriously?? you had them since the day of birth? I have never seen this happen and I've been dealing with mice for 8 years!!! We tried serogacy, c-sections, fostering---you name it we've tried it in emergency situations. I want your touch!!! This mouse is 4 years old now? thast rare too..Mice don't live for more than 2-3 years and that's a very hardy mouse in teh best conditions provided to them?? no pictures???

9. dfchaser

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Thank you all for your help, the mice were moved to very low importance today, our dog was hit by a car so we rushed her to the vet at 6 and are now just getting home. The mice unfortunately did not make it. Thank you though.

10. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by