Hand raising "flighty" breeds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lolmom, Jan 22, 2017.

1. lolmom

lolmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Just curious if anyone had any experiences with breeds considered nervous or "flighty" that they've raised by hand. For the past decade, we've kept a small flock of hens (6 or less) & always keep new chicks in a brooder in our house (pretty much all day interaction with us) until they are at least 6 weeks old, then we start to transition them to the coop. They have always grown to be easy-going, for the most part, friendly birds but we've only kept breeds considered calm/docile ... red sex links, Australorps, Orpingtons, barred rock. We're adding new birds this season & considering a cream legbar because the breed is "autosexing" (don't have anyone to send the Roos to & don't have the heart to cull). From what I've read it seems they can be flighty but I was wondering if they were raised as our other birds have been (in the house w/daily interactions) they might be less flighty? Any experiences or opinions? TIA [​IMG]

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    My only experience is with White Leghorns. I've always hand raised them, but don't necessarily hold them a lot. A few years ago my daughter raised some for 4-H and those are much calmer then our past leghorns have been, but they're still flighty and nervous! You certainly can't just go up to them and pick them up.

I have no experience with Legbars, but flighty breeds tend to be similar.

1 person likes this.
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    For first month or so post-hatch feed them live mealworms by hand once day. Make so they must get mealworms from your hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by