Hand reared chicks don't go to bed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by laurengeeves, Dec 27, 2013.

1. laurengeeves

laurengeeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    I have 3 guinea fowls that are now 6 months old now, hardly chicks I know lol. And they love being up high, so we put a log in the corner and they love it, they won't go in the shed like the others, should I just take it away along with others so they learn to go to sleep? Because there is a light for owners to sort the horses out they stay up because they can see people unlike the older hens, I don't want them to risk drawing attention to preditors because they stay out, and they make noises everytime they see something that is a fret such as cat or bird in the sky

Opinions please!!!

2. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    [​IMG]

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    You might want to post over on the guinea forum. Bet they will have some ideas for you.

4. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    What guinea forum?

5. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    Thank you

6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Larry, Moe and Curly.

Take the perch down. They aren't gong to settle down for the night as long as you have a security light on. Put a perch high up in the coop just for them. I just added a much higher one for my guineas and they all choose that one over the lower ones.

7. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    The lights go off about 8 when everyone is gone, but they still stay on the purch, thanks will see how they take the new purch and if they wait outside I'll put them in the shed on the purch :)

8. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I doubt they will wait for you at bedtime. They will probably move to a tree. Do they not have access to the shed? I'd open the shed up and put their food in there so they have some incentive to go in.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

My Guinea tend to perch on the roof of the house unless I round them up before it get's dark [​IMG]

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Healthy looking Guinias [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by