hand turning eggs, chicken, game birds, and turkeys

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dustponds10, May 14, 2010.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    I am wondering how many times you are turning your eggs adn the time span inbetween turns and what not. What is the minimum? I ask because I have two incubators and I am wanting to start some turkeys soon but my chicken eggs are only on day 14. Should i wait for my chickens to get done? then put some turkeys in the bator with some more chickens or other gamebirds? I am just unsure on what to do and I want to get them going asap.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Well I turned my chicken eggs first thing every morning and last thing every night. I heard that turning more was better, but I had 17 out of 20 hatch on my very first attempt, so I don't think it's worth the extra effort.

3. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    really you only turned them 2 times a day? Wow, I am a beginner so i am pretty new at this as well. I have an automatic turner in one incubator but in the other one I dont have a automatic turner. I might use the bator with out as a hatcher incubator and the turner for turning and incubating. Just not sure what I am going to do with only one thermometer that I can trust.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Yep, every morning before work and every night before bed. I work all day so it's not like I could handily turn them anytime in-between. If I were to turn them at like 4pm when I got home, they would only be on that side for a few hours before bed, and thus spend the majority of the time on the same side all night long

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by