Hand Turning Vs. Egg Turner

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ThebigE, Apr 6, 2011.

1. ThebigE

ThebigE Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    I set 2 duck eggs 31 days ago and I am wondering if hand turning is better, I had both eggs hatch I have also set 9 more eggs and I only had 1 not developing so I got rid of it, I am pretty sure that is because that egg was washed, but I was wondering if anybody else has had great hatches by hand turning, I am starting to believe that turners turn too slowly and not enough

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It can depend alot on the type of turner you are using. There are those where the eggs it upright in a cup, and slowly swing through an angle - or those that at a given time turn through 90 degrees - and those that are a roll turner- allowing the egs to still be on their sides- the same as if being hand turned.

With the machine I use- it has the roll turner and I can adjust the timer so that it turns as frequently as I want. I have gotten the best hatches since I started incubating with my current machine- with most hatches being 100% as apposed to poorer hatches when hand turning in a hovabator.

Having the eggs laying on their sides does seen to give a much better hatch result- when the eggs are turned often enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by