hand turning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by smokeyodie97, Jul 2, 2010.

1. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    Do you think hand turning one time in the morning one time in the afternoon and one time at nite and how many times do i need to rotat eggs

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Chicken eggs need to be turned 3 x a day.

3. smokeyodie97

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    So haw many times do i need to spin the egg

4. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm sorry-I'm not sure what you mean by "spin" the egg?
    They need to be rolled 3 x a day. Is that what you mean?
    You put an X on one side and an O on the other-roll from the X to the O 3 times a day.
    Is that clear as mud? [​IMG]

5. smokeyodie97

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    Like hold it in your hand a spin it

6. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    The rolling from X side to O side 3 times a day is all that is needed for turning.
    No need to pick them up to turn them-just use the flat of your palm for rolling.

7. smokeyodie97

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    OK ,I'll do that

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Are you talking about quail eggs or chicken eggs? I am not familiar with quail eggs so I am not going to comment on them, but chicken eggs need to be rotated to keep the yolk and developing chick from coming in contact with the inside of the egg shell. If they come in contact with the inside of the egg shell, the yolk or developing chick will dry out through moisture evaporation through the shell, get stuck, and die. To keep the air cell at the big end of the egg where it needs to be, you also need to keep the egg so the big end is never lower than the smaller end. To be safe, most people store the egg while it is waiting to be incubated and while it is in the incubator with the small end down.

Turning the egg over and turning it back real quick does not help. The yolk or develooping chick settles slowly through the white, not real quick. The egg needs to be turned and left for a while, then turned back. Depending on your incubator or how you store the eggs, there are different ways to accomplish this. One normal way is to mark an "X" on one side of the egg, mark an "O" on the other side, put them in an egg carton or holder of some sort, and position the egg so the "X" is up one time and the "O" is up the next. You may need to trim your egg carton so you can prop the egg on its side. Or you can put a block under one end of the egg carton then move the block to the other end when it is time to turn them. There are many different ways to do it, depending on what you have to work with. Of course the easiest is to get an automatic turner, but many people don't have those. Exactly how you do it is not important. But if you kinda understand why you are doing it and work out a way to keep the egg or developing chick away from the walls of the egg, you will do fine.

When you go into lockdown, the chick is going to be touching the side of the egg anyway since it is so big, so you quit turning since there is no need and you increase the humidity to keep the chick from drying out.

This Texas A&M site talks about turning eggs and many other things that may help you.

http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf

Hope this helps. Good luck!

9. smokeyodie97

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    ok so i need the small end down

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If it is chicken eggs, you need the small end as low or lower then the big end. It is Ok if they are the same height, but better if the small end is lower than the big end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by