Handcrafted Coops or Ware?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stevenwacks, Sep 22, 2011.

1. stevenwacks

stevenwacks New Egg

Sep 22, 2011
    I have five 6 week old chickens and DO NOT WANT TO BUILD A COOP. I'm looking at the "handcrafted coop" for 4-6 chickens, or the Ware Chick-n-Viilla or Chick-n-lodge. Any advice?

Thanks

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Maybe a stupid question but just gotta ask! Why do you NOT WANT TO BUILD YOUR OWN COOP? Most here get as much enjoyement out of their chickens by building the enviroment they will live in. They design it or do research and come up with ideas from others to suite their needs, weather conditions, income, etc......thats part of the fun and satisfaction. good luck with your search.
    Erik

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    That coop is way too small for 5 chickens its tight with just to Hens living there

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

I have 7 chick-n-hutches made by Ware, and probably always will have some Ware coops. Two of them have been converted to feed shelters because they wore out. I also used to have two other models of Ware hutches but sold them (they were really for rabbits).

The Ware products don't tend to last that long. But they are great for the short term because you don't have to build the coop yourself. I REALLY enjoy the chick-n-hutches for raising chickens and for keeping bantams. The wire floor is so nice. I don't have to do anything but hose it out once a week and empty the tray.

I don't have the two coops you mentioned, but wanted you to know that Ware products don't weather well. So if you are in close proximity to neighbors and need it to look as nice as your home for years you would probably be better off getting a shed assembled by Lowes or Home Depot and make that your coop (or some other coop made for you by a craftsman).

Alternatively, there are other coops available on internet for ordering- lots of websites.

Edited to add: I have reinforced my hutches with plywood and plexiglass over the open sides, leaving appropriate ventilation.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  6. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with PP! Most of those internet coops are built with flimsy and thin wood that don't hold up over time. They are also really, really small! You might be kicking yourself over this one. I don't think it's a problem if you don't want to build anything. I'd say most people in your shoes end up buying a little shed from Lowes and just convert it- throw in some roosts, nests and put in vents and you're done. It will actually last longer and be easier on you in the long run. There are more shed selections online from Lowes than what is in their store. I'd start there, but several of them are cute!

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    My local Southern States sells a variety of Amish coops - nicely built - a variety of styles - rather pricey.

8. happycamperkid

happycamperkid Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2012
    I got a Chick-n lodge and the locks are a little bit flimsy but we are just going to replace them. It has a food storage and an easy clean door from the back. I like it and would reccomend ti to any one.

9. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    There are lots of nice coop for under $300. on our local Craigslist and lots of assemble it yourself choices on line for under $ 500. But I have very little construction experience and am building a coop using basic tools (and a borrowed chop saw!) using mostly used and found materials and it's turning out pretty good... So far I've spent 50 bucks and that was mostlty for hardware cloth so maybe you should reconsider?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by