Handeling baby chicks

Ortiz5954

Chirping
May 14, 2015
Hello,
We are new to raising chickens, I thought I have read and hear that when they are baby chicks you should hold them and socialize with them. My sister however is telling me her husband said that you should handle them as least as possible (she has had chickens) other friends who have chickens say no you should handle them. So outsider opinions please and thank you!

welcome-byc.gif

Glad you joined us!

I like to hold the chicks on a regular basis, and let them eat out of my hand, so they become tame, and easy to handle. More: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-tame-chickens-from-the-start

Hi!
I am also new to raising chickens, and mine are currently 1month old. I held as many of mine as I could often so that they would get used to me. I would also put them in my lap, and now I have several that fly up onto my lap on their own, or even my shoulders haha. I would definitely recommend holding them as much as possible without stressing them out too much.
They might freak out for a couple of seconds when you pick them up, but they usually settle down and will fall asleep in your hands.

There are 27 in my flock, so I was not able to hold all of them. They are used to me being around, but they do not let me pick them up or pet them.

I've found that they enjoy affection just as much as dogs or cats, maybe even more than cats haha. I have turkeys too, and they seem to like affection even more than the chickens.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us and congrats on getting your new baby chicks.

IMO less handling for the first week or so is better to allow them to get over the stress of a new location, and then handling them gently but not continuously. They do need their baby naps.

Socializing chicks is good for them and you.

I do know some folks feel a cockerel (young rooster) should not be handled much. They feel the male will consider people as part of their flock and be aggressive in nature, making the people tow the ling just like their hens. In doing so the male looses all fear of humans. The thinking is that males should have a healthy fear and respect for humans and that keeps them in their place. I have no idea if that is true or not, never had roosters.

As baby chicks is would also be hard to know which ones are males.

Thank you all,
I feel very welcomed.Glad I joined BY too.I appreciate all the helpful information!!These girls are such a little blessing,I posted a pic of them for my profile.Getting more on Monday.By time I'm done I will have 8 and possibly two ducks in July! Learning so many great suggestions and ideas.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

In my experience and opinion, you should handle them a lot. BUT hold off on touching them for the first day or so. This is the time they should be settling in and getting used to life. Then you can slowly start to talk to them. Place your hand in the cage and let them come investigate you. Then gently and slowly, pick them up and hold them under you chin while speaking softly and soothingly. They will most likely close their eyes and fall asleep. That is a great sign.

Here is a great article that continues to talk about taming your birds https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-tame-chickens-from-the-start

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom