HAndfeeding untame lovebird

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by GuineaFowling, Feb 20, 2016.

1. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Is it possible to handfeed a 5 week old parent raised lovebird. Thebird has splayed legs and the petstore selling it says its weaned butits only five weeks old. Would itbe possible to handfeed it or would it reject it since it was parent raised.

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

Trying to hand feed a love bird that age and parent raised is very risky. I advise against it. Why do you think it not weaned?

3. GuineaFowling

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    It's far too young. Every breeder I've spoken too has said that they wean from 8-11 weeks and that five weeks is too young. They are supposed accept food at that age but not wean until later.

4. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

True. Since it is away from the parents it probably would do well on a soft food diet and spray millet. If you do try hand feeding do so with extreme caution; go very slowly, You'd have to use a syringe-go slow.

5. GuineaFowling

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Thank you for the suggestion. I am using a spoon right now and letting him accept it from there. I will make some soft food tonight to feed him that as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by