Handicap access

HeavenViewRanch

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2015
Kern River Valley, CA
I want to design a coop that would be easy for my great aunt. She broke her hip so will be wheel chair bound for a while and is legally blind but can still see enough to use the computer and see animals. All she wants is 2-3 girls so she can have fresh eggs in the morning. Any suggestions for set up would be greatly appreciated! Her 2 kids will most likely be there to assist in somethings but most will be on her.

what do you think of this
2345.png

I want to design a coop that would be easy for my great aunt. She broke her hip so will be wheel chair bound for a while and is legally blind but can still see enough to use the computer and see animals. All she wants is 2-3 girls so she can have fresh eggs in the morning. Any suggestions for set up would be greatly appreciated! Her 2 kids will most likely be there to assist in somethings but most will be on her.
Does she already have chickens?
Do her kids live with her or close nearby?

Biggest issue IMO would be being able to grab birds off roost for exams.
Next would be bedding and manure management.
Does the coop need to have wheelchair access inside?
Will this be built from scratch?

ETA: I didn't look at these threads, but there might be some ideas in there for you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/39666023/?q=handicap+coop&t=post&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

I just had a coop built to my specifications last year. I am not handicapped per say, but I have several chronic illness which have left me with physical limitations. First of all I have a covered run as being in the elements doing chicken chores was getting very difficult. It is easier for me and the chickens can be outside every day of the year, regardless of weather. Second, I had a raised coop built where the whole back wall opens up for cleaning. I can just stand and rake out the old bedding or scoop poo or whatever I need to do. The perches are easily removable for cleaning and the floor of the coop is covered with stall mats so the whole thing can be hosed out. Third, the nest boxes are external and on the front of the coop so eggs can be easily gathered and cleaned out when necessary. One thing I forgot to do was have some holes drilled in the bottom of the boxes and covered with a little HWC for drainage so I can hose them out as well. Husband will remedy that in the spring and should only take a few minutes to do.

I also had a bench that is about 6 ft long and I painted it and use to to put all my feed cans on. This way I can easily feed with no bending over or stooping. My husband brings the bags in from the feed store and empties them into the storage cans. If I didn't have anyone to do this for me, I would purchase feed in smaller bags I suppose or open them and tote in manageable amounts until I got the cans full. I also made a feeding station so everything is close by.

My set up is not perfect as there are now things I would have done differently, but it is a vast improvement over my previous set up and so much easier on me physically.

20171216_083215.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom