Handicap duck can't preen

Musolff2015

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
I have a duckling with scoliosis and very minimal range of neck/head movement therefor he can only preen some of his belly. Its highly likely he will never be able to preen.
1) what will happen with him never preening?
2) is it mandatory that I switch him to be inside?
3) He can sometimes get into the kiddy pool to wash up, but i know it's not enough especially with 9 hatch mates and 6 adults quickly dirtying it so I have been occassionally taking him inside to bath.

Any help would be appreciated
(He's the blue to the far left. Poor photo but you can at least see where his head sits)

Attachments

• 20200728_195121.jpg
    20200728_195121.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I have a duckling with scoliosis and very minimal range of neck/head movement therefor he can only preen some of his belly. Its highly likely he will never be able to preen.
1) what will happen with him never preening?
2) is it mandatory that I switch him to be inside?
3) He can sometimes get into the kiddy pool to wash up, but i know it's not enough especially with 9 hatch mates and 6 adults quickly dirtying it so I have been occassionally taking him inside to bath.

Any help would be appreciated
(He's the blue to the far left. Poor photo but you can at least see where his head sits)

If he's unable to properly distribute oil over his feathers eventually he will be unable to adequately repel water off of his body, and because of that his total feather condition will worsen severely, he'll be prone to ectopractices, sticky eye, severe wet feather, the list goes on. I have not done the research to know if there are any special products for birds that have lost there ability repel water, that might be something you want to look into.

If the other ducklings don't seem to be bothering him it might just be best to leave him out with them, and just see how he gets along with life.

Just to get an idea of what kind of care he needs, could you post a video of him walking around?

How is your duck doing?

He was doing great. After having him inside off and on, his hatch mates refused him and beat him up so he was exclusively inside. He absolutely loved playing in the wash tub sink and preened his chest. After, I'd cuddle him and preen the rest of him by gently rolling the tips of unopened feathers in my finger tips and somewhat rubbed by his preen glad to spread the oil I could without stimulating the gland as it got him really worked up. I made the difficult choice to give him to a friend so he could join her same aged muscovy that was highly imprinted, raised inside. He did incredible with her and they transitioned outside. No more than a week or 2 and something, we think owl, got him 😭😭😭

He was doing great. After having him inside off and on, his hatch mates refused him and beat him up so he was exclusively inside. He absolutely loved playing in the wash tub sink and preened his chest. After, I'd cuddle him and preen the rest of him by gently rolling the tips of unopened feathers in my finger tips and somewhat rubbed by his preen glad to spread the oil I could without stimulating the gland as it got him really worked up. I made the difficult choice to give him to a friend so he could join her same aged muscovy that was highly imprinted, raised inside. He did incredible with her and they transitioned outside. No more than a week or 2 and something, we think owl, got him 😭😭😭

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom