Handicapped chic

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bluemonster107, May 23, 2019.

1. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    So I had this little chic who struggled to break from his shell.. I’m sure it’s just survival of the fittest and I should have just left him be ... but I couldn’t stand hearing him chirp.. stuck in that partiality broken shell... okay so assisted him out of his shell.. feet curled but seemed more like a whole joint issue..
    well the feet ended up correcting themselves...
    Okay , so fast forward now to a week and 4 days later...
    this poor little chic just can’t get those legs to work. Since yesterday I noticed it’s legs just can’t hold him up to get around... he scoots everywhere ... drinks and eats.
    I looked at all the examples of splayed legs and this doesn’t seem the case... more just a defect in the chics joints? Not developing to be be able to hold himself up?
    Any thing to try and help? Or is this just a loss cause of help for him?

Attached Files:

CoturnixComplex likes this.
  2. MomJones

MomJones Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    South Carolina
    Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Sure is a cute little thing.

Have you read about splinting their little legs until they develop enough strength to stand on their own? There's a ton of information out there.

3. CoturnixComplex

CoturnixComplex Crowing

Nov 16, 2018
    Yeah, deformed for sure :( had one like that last batch. The wings were stubby and the legs bowed outwards. Called it "beetle" cuz it totally looked like one. Made it to about 3 weeks and then just couldn't get around anymore. You'll probably have to cull sooner or later. I'm sorry :hugs Give it some fresh dirt with bugs to roll in as a send off, that always makes me feel better.

Abriana, Bluemonster107 and MomJones like this.
  4. CoturnixComplex

CoturnixComplex Crowing

Nov 16, 2018
    I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like normal splayed leg to me. With mine it was an actual curvature of the leg bones. Couldn't be corrected and hurt him to try. :hmm It's worth a shot but I wouldn't hold out hope at that age.

Bluemonster107 likes this.
  5. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    @CoturnixComplex ... yea.. I’m just a newbie but all the posts I have been reading and articles and pics... didn’t represent itself as “splay leg”... from what I gathered... looked to me like a deformity ...

6. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    Lol... beetle ... yea .. same thing going on here... we call him “cielo” (like ceelo green... because that guy just always seems to be a little “off”hahaha... love him... but just “odd”)
    And yea, his mobility hasn’t gotten better... just worse as he has grown and half the size of the others at the same age.
    I like that “fresh dirt roll in” as a send off.... poor guy can’t even reach the little sand box the others are playing in
    And he is causing me to have to leave the food on a plate for him to reach and the others make a complete mess of!!

7. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    Yes.. have gone through tons of videos and articles but this poor little one can’t even get that leg portion to function... if I splint him... wouldn’t be able to scoot to his food/water... such a little fighter... super cute... I just wonder if others had one similar and how long they made it.. or other things they did to help it?

8. CoturnixComplex

CoturnixComplex Crowing

Nov 16, 2018
    Yeah, the difference was obvious when I tried to band-aid splint his legs - in normal splayed leg cases they'd then look totally normal and functional. When I tried to do it for him they were still physically rounded and bowed out at the hips and he could NOT get around at all until I took the splint off.

It did get worse as he got heavier :(

9. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    That exactly explains it to a T !!!
    (Where that phrase even comes from?!?! Lol)
    Physically rounded and bowed at the hip! And yes... the bigger he gets ... the harder for him to get around...
    So did u actually cull yours or did it just pass on its own?

10. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    Ou could make him a wheelchair so he can scoot himself around without much trouble as h grows. Also others will pick on him most likely so he may be safer as a house chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: