Handicapped Chick Advice

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I have a 3-week old chick with what I think is a slipped tendon. All efforts have not worked. She is happy and healthy, eating normally and pooping normally. I cannot afford surgery and will not cull her. She’s not in distress. She scoots and has become our favorite. I hold her and give her physical therapy a few times daily.

We are looking at how to come up with a prosthesis or moving assistance as she gets bigger.

As long as she’s happy and interacting with the others normally she will stay.

My question is, what have others done? Besides culling. What can I do to give her a happy life and keep her comfortable?

Make her a chicken walker. They're easy to make with scrap wood, and will provide your sweetie with the support she needs. ☺️ Photos and video below.
1620327971385.png
1620327994518.png

Above is the basic design, but you'll need to make one with large, "all terrain" wheels for outdoors. Hahaha! 😁
1620328123168.png

Like this lol!

I have a 3-week old chick with what I think is a slipped tendon. All efforts have not worked. She is happy and healthy, eating normally and pooping normally. I cannot afford surgery and will not cull her. She’s not in distress. She scoots and has become our favorite. I hold her and give her physical therapy a few times daily.

We are looking at how to come up with a prosthesis or moving assistance as she gets bigger.

As long as she’s happy and interacting with the others normally she will stay.

My question is, what have others done? Besides culling. What can I do to give her a happy life and keep her comfortable?
Exactly what happened to me with the last hatch, first ever chick I had with this problem. Unfortunately mine didn't make it in the end because of a scar that didn't want to heal at the hock.
Until that though I made this support leg for her, and she used it great.
308510.jpg
308516.jpg

Make her a chicken walker. They're easy to make with scrap wood, and will provide your sweetie with the support she needs. ☺️ Photos and video below.
View attachment 2653410View attachment 2653411
Above is the basic design, but you'll need to make one with large, "all terrain" wheels for outdoors. Hahaha! 😁
View attachment 2653414
Like this lol!
I did make her a chicken walker. As long as I was right with her, she was fine. I put a piece of fabric on her so she wouldn’t get out and put her back in her little area. She was working her way out when I went back to check on her a few minutes later.

Update-When the other chicks were big enough to go outside, here in South Mississippi, I kept her in and put three hatchlings in with her. One of them died and when I found it, she was laying right beside it. Fast forward three weeks: Little Bit has become their little mama. The new chicks are a smaller breed and they climb on her and crawl under her wings! It is so sweet. When I take one out to check it, the other two let me know they don’t like it.

I was so worried about my girlie and now it seems to have all worked out. She still has a wonky leg but she’s healthy, growing, and very happy.

I will build them their own little coop/run and they will remain their own little happy family of one Aracauna Mama and two Ayam Cemani. ❤️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom