Handicapped chicken looking for a companion

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by juliemealy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. juliemealy

juliemealy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Missouri
    I have a special needs chicken that is lonely for a companion. She has deformed legs - one is forward and the other leg is backwards. She lays on her side most of the time but she can hop/fly "flop", sit up and turn circles. She lays in the yard with the dogs during the day and she sleeps in a rabbit hutch by herself at night. She doesn't like being in the rabbit hutch by herself [​IMG] and would really like a friend. She is a 5 month old leghorn.

I am willing to take on another handicapped chicken or give her up to a good home preferably with a companion.

Thanks for reading my post,
    Julie

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] Julie. Wow! That's kind of a sad story. I'm pretty new to the forum so I'm sure lots of people know lots more than I do about your problem. I do know that other chickens will pick on a perceived weaker member of the group. Not sure what putting two special needs chickens together would do. Best of luck with a solution. Sure sounds like your heart is in the right place! [​IMG]

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

so sweet [​IMG]

4. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Hi Julie,

You may also want to post in the forum "Chickens 8 Weeks & Older - For Sale" in the section for Buy, Sell, Trade. I hope something works out.

Kahni

5. Chicken Chickita

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    or also a post in "Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures" and also mention that you are in Missouri. (I think that's right, Missouri?)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry to say that I recommend you cull her (put her to sleep.) She could possibly have marek's disease by your description. Her quality of life is in question and not a way for her to live her life laying on her side.

7. juliemealy

Jun 23, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't for sure where to post. I tried to post in "chickens 8 weeks... - for sale" and I was unable to until I have 10 posts. I guess I better get busy. Thanks!

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Gee that is a tough one and everyone above has given good divers advise. I hope it works out for the best. [​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. juliemealy

Jun 23, 2011
    Missouri
    I posted in "Emergencies..." and also added "Missouri"! Thanks!

10. Chicken Chickita

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Quote:Ten posts shouldn't take too long. [​IMG] The chicken I have as my avatar picture is Clover, my "special needs" chicken with the same ligament problems it sounds like yours has. I got her last August and we are about ready to celebrate her 1st year with us. In that picture she is sitting on the pool table watching me decorate the Christmas tree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by