Handicapped chicken looking for a companion

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by juliemealy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. juliemealy

juliemealy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Missouri
    I have a special needs chicken that is lonely for a companion. She has deformed legs - one is forward and the other leg is backwards. She lays on her side most of the time but she can hop/fly "flop", sit up and turn circles. She lays in the yard with the dogs during the day and she sleeps in a rabbit hutch by herself at night. She doesn't like being in the rabbit hutch by herself [​IMG] and would really like a friend. She is a 5 month old leghorn.

I am willing to take on another handicapped chicken or give her up to a good home preferably with a companion. I'm located in central Missouri.

Thanks for reading my post,
    Julie

2. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Dangit, would totall give you mine. she has the same problem. Can flop around, and can't stand. She gets on her back and can't get back over. But I am in VA. Sad to see her like this, I don't want her to be with the bigger chickens but she is. Mine is a 2 month old americauna.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Maybe she would like a new baby bunny friend. A great companion doesn't have to be the same species.[​IMG]

4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I think you posted in the wrong section. You should post it under BUY/SELL/AUCTION or on a thread for where you live.

5. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    A thread for where you live would be good too. She's a very lucky chicken for you to be doing this for her.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  7. juliemealy

Jun 23, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:My chick uses her wings to balance. I've never seen her on her back. Are you around yours all the time so you can turn her over? I'm afraid if I took yours and was gone all day she would die from laying on her back too long.

8. juliemealy

Jun 23, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:I will do that. Thanks for the suggestion!

9. juliemealy

Jun 23, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:Somebody else suggested a bunny too. I may have to try that if I can't find a chicken. I'm hesitant because of my dogs and their love for bunnies!

10. juliemealy

Jun 23, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:I'm new to the forum therefore I have to wait until I have 10 posts before I can post in that section. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by