Handling 3 week old birds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CountryCentinel, Nov 24, 2011.

1. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    Hey guys, well the girls are growing like I can not believe, they seem to grow from when I tuck them in at night till when I see them 1st thing in the morning, crazy!

My question is this, all the girls are pretty friendly, some are giving to a bit more forthcoming than another, but they all are easily petted and what have you, we pick them up from time to time just to sort of socialize them, but now they are getting bigger and less prone to sitting still in the hand, so I wondered, I am picking them up with my hand around the body holding their wings inside, this keeps them immobile but although I am gentle I wanted to ask if there is a way to handle chicks, and then chickens that is best?

Thanks ya'll!

And happy T Day, the girls are sort of acting somber today, I think they suspect somethings a foot in the kitchen involving one of their cousins... LOL! ;-)

2. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Well my cockeral called boo gets a cuddle every morning, i think its good to handle them all a time...[​IMG]

3. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Mine love being held - when they initiate and jump up to to sit on my arm - but when I pick them up, holding their wings, they often chirp and squirm like they are very upset with me doing that! Most of them are almost 6 weeks old. The cochins are a little younger and much more laid back. I guess it has to do with freedom [​IMG]

4. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    Hey Yall, My RIR chicks are 5 weeks old today. They are outside in a coop/run. Until a few days ago, they were letting me pick them up. Now, they are running from me. I'm thinking the behavior comes from being free, and feeling like the big chicks who are next door.

5. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Being out in the run does have something to do with it! I agree! I do however have a few who will jump on me if I am sitting out there with them. When it is too cold and they are under the heat, they always jump up and out, onto my arm. Yep freedom [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

At three weeks, I stand them in one hand, while my other hand gently wraps around their back and wing area (I think it's what you described). As others have said, many get a bit skittish for a while as they get older. But don't let that stop you from "forced cuddling" time...lol. Older chicks I cup their chest area down to the legs, and keep the gentle hand over the back/wing area...

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've discovered that if you have a skittish chick (or even an older bird), tucking their little head between your arm and body helps them to feel more secure. To do this, pick them up backward facing, cradle them in the crook of your arm, and let their head find that comforting nook just under your armpit.

This technique is guaranteed to calm any chicken, no matter female or male or how old they are.

8. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    Hey Yall, Today they are jumping on me, and I did hold them , and put their heads in my armpit. Very Sweet, maybe they were too frisky yesterday, being Thanksgiving, lol I did give the whole flock a nice supper of spinach and sweet potatoes. Only let the chicks eat for 3 minutes. That's what the experts say.

9. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I scoop them and put my pinky behind and between their legs. Then my ring finger goes on top of the legs, hollding them somewhat immobile. My thumb is over the back and my middlle and forefingers are splayed under the chest and overor under the neck. They are held at a sideways angle and their feet are smooshed lightly into my chest. When they squirm, I slip my other hand over the chest, pet their heads and necks, pull them lightly into my body or rub their chins/ears. and chhh chhh chhh them, which calms them from struggling.

When done like this, they feel secure and will calm almost immediately. Then you can stroke their heads and chins, which they love. My chickens will bbbeg for attention and takke turns on the "cuddling bar" to get their petsies. I raise them like thiis from chickies and have extremely friendly, loving hens.

10. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I scoop them and put my pinky behind and between their legs. Then my ring finger goes on top of the legs, hollding them somewhat immobile. My thumb is over the back and my middlle and forefingers are splayed under the chest and overor under the neck. They are held at a sideways angle and their feet are smooshed lightly into my chest. When they squirm, I slip my other hand over the chest, pet their heads and necks, pull them lightly into my body or rub their chins/ears. and chhh chhh chhh them, which calms them from struggling.

When done like this, they feel secure and will calm almost immediately. Then you can stroke their heads and chins, which they love. My chickens will bbbeg for attention and takke turns on the "cuddling bar" to get their petsies. I raise them like thiis from chickies and have extremely friendly, loving hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by