1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Handling a cockerel

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ed62, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have Speckled Sussex chickens. There is a cockerel (about 26 weeks old) who made the mistake of jumping at me, and scratching my leg. I immediately gave him a kick with the side of my foot, knocking him about 5 feet from where he was. Since then (about 3 weeks ago), he wants no part of me, and he's very hard to catch. I can catch him with a net, if need be.

We just had our first below freezing temps last night, so it's probably time to think about putting Vaseline on the combs and wattles of the flock. I'm not sure about the best way to hold him after I catch him. He has spurs about 1 1/2" long now, and I don't know if he'll try to use them on me or not. Is there a specific way to hold them to protect yourself?

One more question. At what temperature do you start putting Vaseline on the combs?

Thanks,
    Ed

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Using as little light as necessary, go into the coop at night, after they've gone to roost. Pick him up from the side, holding the wings tight to his body. Tuck his body under your arm, firmly. Once you start to apply the vaseline, watch the beak. I have several chickens that are pretty much docile when it's dark enough, but will strike out with their beaks to peck at anything that gets close to their face.

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    How often do you apply the vaseline??

4. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

Waiting to see the answers to your question. I have a roo that won't get near me either and it was really cold the other night...

BTW, so jealous that you have a SS roo. I'm getting one next year to start breeding. Can't wait! I love my SS hens.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That I couldn't tell you, since my adult rooster is a brahma (pea comb) and doesn't need the vaseline treatment. Guess I better start finding out though, since my cockerels are single combs. I would imagine every few days, as you see it wearing off. Not too much at one time though. It won't hurt them if it gets in their eyes, but I personally still wouldn't want it running into them.
    My big roo Thor (my avatar) is a very gentle, very good roo. Even so, he avoids me as that's what he's learned to do - the whole alpha roo thing. When I must handle him once a week for his health checks I always do it in the evenings, after they've gone to roost. Not a bit of upset on his part then. He even waits patiently for his cat food treat that he knows comes at the end of every check-up. [​IMG]

I'll find out how often and post it here.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think it was Patandchickens that posted that they do fine down to zero, no frostbite, with good ventilation.

7. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks very much for the replies. There's a lot to learn. [​IMG]

Ed

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Ed, I have PMed you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by