Handling baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jcbydesign, Sep 21, 2010.

1. jcbydesign

jcbydesign Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I got my chicks ten days ago (they were 3-5 days old) and I was told not to hold them for two weeks. When can/should I hold them, how much and how? I want them to bond with me and my grandson (5 years). Thanks!

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I think that you should be handling them every day.

3. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Just don't do this:

In all seriousness, somebody gave you misinformation. Its fine to hold them, just don't squeeze them or anything, and supervise your grandson.

4. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    You can hold chick from their very first day. [​IMG] Don't know who told you to refrain for two weeks, but as long as you're careful with them, holding them is beneficial: it'll help calm them and make them tame. Just think: the mother hen sits on them and is 'touching' them all the time. The more positive attention you give them, the tamer they'll be.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  5. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    This is my first time with chicks. I got day olds through the mail. I have been handling them since they arrived. I also let my 2yr old pet them. I want for them to be friendly and not afraid of us when we enter the coop to collect our eggs.

6. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    My 2 yr old grandson also handled the peeps the day they arrived. He was excited about his peeps but still understood to be gentle. To this day they coming running when my daughter drops him off in the morning. The chickens babysit 3 days a wk. [​IMG]

7. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I have handled mine every single day since I got them as 3 day olds. They are very "well-rounded" chickens at 11 weeks old and some actually enjoy being held!

8. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Definitely hold them, touch them every day. The only thing I would add to this is don't put baby chicks up to your face, and wash your hands when you are done. These were my rules for my kids (under my supervision)...for fear of "possible" salmonella bacteria on the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by