Handling baby homing pigeons

sharebear29

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 31, 2011
Hello,

I just got started in homing pigeons. My first pair hatched their babies about 10 - 14 days ago.

The adult birds won't let me handle them and I'd like the babies to be more tame. I pretty sure I'd read somewhere that you can start handling the babies at 10 days to get them used to you. However, right now doing online searches I can't seem to find any information about this.

The parents aren't sitting on them anymore...but I do have a light on them to keep them warm and I saw on of the parents in feeding them this morning - so they're still being cared for.

My question is.... would it be ok for me to start handling them now? Also, should I be doing anything else to ensure they're healthy?

Thanks a lot for your time as I start my latest endeavor.

Sharon

There is plenty of time to tame your squeakers. Picking them up really does not tame them too much is my experience. If anything it just cause them to avoid you more.

I find birds do not like to be handle or picked up. The best way to tame them is have them come to you by enticing them with treats.

I use shelled unsalted peanuts or sun flower hearts also work well as treats. I whistle to my birds when I begin feeding these treats (you could use any sort of call that identifies this).Start hand feeding your birds with these and in short time you will have both parents and squeakers flying to you when you enter the loft in no time flat.

Last edited:
hmmmmm. great idea. I'll get peanuts and/or sunflower seeds tomorrow and try that.

THANK YOU.

ill just be getting back into homers more or less seriously soon, but with my performing breeds and fancy/show ones even i handle the babies from when their legs are strong enough for them to move around on own. i pet coo whistle ect and start training them to fly by gently tilting my hand around to get muscles strong and raise and lower hands with them in to get them to flap and gain muscle. i also have a call i use when needing to putz or put meds on and then another when done, and it seems to make them settle right down after do the done putzing call, and also do a toss or fly call and mostly they will then all get excited and jump and flap around in cage till then let out, or if out will fly up on command. i start hand feeding as soon as they start pecking at stuff in nest and they take food from my cupped hand and between fingers (though one palor insists on trying to swallow my whole pointer finger all the time). when i have homers again in any decent number i may sing a differant tune though..

I want to get some rollers too. I'm new to all of this...we've had doves before but they've never had babies (or even laid an egg) this is the first time I've had pigeons.

I'm very excited about getting the rollers and working with my homer babies. :)

Back
Top Bottom