Handling & care of Eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kathy Z, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Kathy Z

Kathy Z Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    Oregon
    I searched the learning forum and it answered my questions on how to keep eggs fresh, and clean. Should they be stored in an old egg carton, or basket. Which end up?

Thank you in advance

krazychick [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    If you are storing eggs for incubating they should be stored in egg cartons with the fat end up and pointy end down this keeps the air cell in the correct position at the fat end of the egg. If for eating it wouldn't matter if they were in a basket or cartons :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    I use egg cartons, and put the oldest eggs in the back. That way we always know to eat the back ones first. A basket is fine for gathering, but not as well suited for storing, since the old ones would be on bottom, or mixed in. I store them fat end up in the carton.

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's how I gather and store them also.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kathy Z

Oct 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Thank you all for the tips on storing eggs [​IMG]

Mrs Z

6. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    There are a couple of very interesting articles out there on commercial egg storage. In the UK, it's illegal to sell washed eggs nor can they be refrigerated. In the USA, it's illegal to sell unwashed eggs and they must be refrigerated.

There is a thin cuticle (the bloom) on eggs that protects them from external pathogens, including bacteria. If this cuticle gets wet or is washed off, then the egg inside is vulnerable to being contaminated. What we do is brush off any nest box bedding or poop and store them unwashed. If you wash them, you will want to also dunk them in a mild bleach solution and put them In an egg container that has never held unwashed eggs. If they've never been washed, you could store them in any container you wanted.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Kathy Z

Oct 11, 2014
    Oregon
    I really love the "BYC" community! All the great tips, stories,recipes and photos are a big help to a "Newbie", like me. My Great Grandmother used to raise chickens in her yard (no cages or coops) in Santa Rosa, CA. back in the late 1800's. I saw a picture of her once that my Mom had. I hope to find that photo someday! [​IMG]

8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Excellent info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by