Handling chicks for friendliness

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by YULickenthat, Mar 9, 2015.

1. YULickenthat

YULickenthat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Reno, Nv
    Hi!! I am new to BYC and basically the whole chicken raising thing in general, so forgive me if anything I ask makes me look like an ***. I am so excited to be starting this new venture! My family had chickens when I was a kid, so I remember very little info on the process. I just bought my first 5 Rhode Island Reds and have 4 black Australorps shipping at the end of April. I have been told that handling them a lot as babies can ensure friendlier chickens in the long run, making it easier to deal with them in the future. So here are my questions; how much handling does "a lot" entail, and what sort of handling? Do I pick them up? Do I pet them? Will it help to bring them "treats" when they are old enough to handle it? Any advice on helping to create happy friendly chickens is very welcome!

2. Vian

Vian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    I just try to pick them up and pet them every day, probably for 5 minutes each. My rir pullets are already pretty calm at 12 days old. My old chickens would come when i called them and follow me around the yard.

2 people like this.
  3. YULickenthat

Mar 9, 2015
    Reno, Nv
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the suggestion! I am currently picking them up and holding them for short periods multiple times a day. I think (guestimated) they are just about a week and a half old.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. YULickenthat

Mar 9, 2015
    Reno, Nv
    I have to correct myself, those so called RIRs (as I was told they were) are in reality production reds. I am learning as I go.

5. TiffysFarm

TiffysFarm New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Handling them daily definitely helps! I have 2 that my kids held every day and they are such sweet girls! Not afraid at all. And I always bring them treats, so they RUN to me when they see me and follow me around the yard. Good luck! Chickens are so fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by