Handling chicks for show?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kkowa, Mar 28, 2012.

1. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    how old should my cicks be to start training them for showing. and at what age can i pick them up and hold them?[​IMG]

2. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    I don't know about training them for show, but I have been picking mine up since they arrived. I try to pick them up each day and hold them some, so they won't be flighty and afraid of humans. We have had several people over to the house to see them and most of them have been held by some pretty little kids, I just show them how to hold them and remind them to not squeeze them or drop them. So far all is well with my babes. :)

3. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    thanks can i pick them up more than once a day or not?

4. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    I handle mine at least 3-4 times a day. I think the more they are held the more friendly and social they will be as adults. Then when you need to do something with them, say check for bumblefoot or deworm them it is not a crazy chicken rodeo, but calm and controlled.

5. PaintedWolf

PaintedWolf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Kitsap WA
    It's fine to pick them up more than once a day. I find it helps to kind of scoop them up from underneath, rather than grab them from overhead, as it doesn't seem to frighten them as much. Now I can't reach into the brooder without half of them jumping up to perch on my hand or arm. Have fun!

6. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    ok thank you alll

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by