handling chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by booboo0712, Jun 23, 2008.

1. booboo0712

booboo0712 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    North west Pa
    How much should I handle my chicks to make them friendly? We are playing with them about an hour each day, my 4 year old says we need to play with them more, but I dont want to spend too much time playing with them(is it possible to play with them too much?)

2. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Just regular handling every day is all that I have done,and I now have the softest chickens!

3. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    We hold our chicks a lot. I am not sure that they can be over handled if they enjoy it. I am curioud to see what others say.

4. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I really have only two that seem to really look forward to being held. One comes running up and hops into my hand:) My Cochin is ok with it, but I think prefers not to be held. She is the queen:rolleyes:

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    We have always handled ours a lot. (Well, that means that last year and this year we handled them a lot since this is only my second batch of chicks.)

I make sure our children are very gentle when holding them and our first group (they are 15 months old) are wonderfully sweet and like to be picked up and held.

I think the gentleness of handling is more important than the amount of handling. Although I advocate handling every day.

6. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    I handle ours a lot, always checking on them and cooing softly and picking them up. Ours love to be held, but there are some breeds of chickens that aren't as social. What breed are your chicks?

7. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    I pick mine up constantly. They're too cute not to! The big girls are almost twelve weeks now and they all but one come running over and climb on me when I go out to see them so it seems to have worked. I picked up the one who doesn't like it less because I didn't want to stress her, but still once a day when she was little and every few days now so she doesn't freak out when I have to pick her up.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The best thing about being an adult is that nobody ever tells me that I'm handling my own chickens too much.

[​IMG]

9. booboo0712

May 8, 2008
    North west Pa
    They are 1 week old silver laced wyandottes, the rooster will come to my hands but the others wont

10. booboo0712

May 8, 2008
    North west Pa
    every one here handles the chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by