Handling my flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nativegirl, Mar 29, 2016.

1. nativegirl

nativegirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2016
    North Carolina
    I don't know if this is the right forum to post this in. But my question is, How long did it take for your chickens to be okay with being held? I realize every chicken has different personalities. Also there's a difference if you've raised them from chicks or not. But I've had my chickens for a month and a half now and so far only one is okay with being held. Im very gentle with handling them and only started to pick them up after a month of them getting adjusted to their new home. They will eat from my hand just fine, but don't like being pet. I see so many pictures of people holding and cuddling their chickens and honestly I'm jealous lol Because I love my chicky girls and I'm trying to be patient. So how long does it usually take for your new chickens to feel comfortable with you handling them?

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    It took my chicks a week, some took a few weeks longer. Never brought home a unsocialized adult bird though. Some birds just dont like being held though. Food is the way to any birds heart if you ask me <3

3. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    if they are chicks I usually quickly grab them and then hold them quietly until they calm down within 3 days they come right up to the front of the brooder to see me. Adults you can sit on the ground with treats quietly and let them come up to get the treats out of your hand and then after a couple days of this start to slowly reach over with your other hand and touch them while they are eating then do this a few days and then you can probably start to pick them up, some will never want to, I had one that I raised as a chick always wanted attention but as an adult trying to pick her up to check her over(I check weekly for bugs and other issues, I watch everyday but pick up once a week) and she isn't having any of it she kicks her legs stretches out her neck and flaps her wings with her I have to do it quickly and then put her down.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It can take days or weeks or never happen.
    Just keep holding them as frequently as possible and they may get used to it and learn to trust you.
    Don't chase them and always hold their wings down until they settle down.
    Some will even enjoy it, some will not.
    I had 2 chicks that never settled when handled as chicks, just kept screamin' and fussin',
    but after point of lay they'd walk up to me and want to be picked up...shm ..darndest thing.

5. nativegirl

Mar 14, 2016
    North Carolina
    Thanks for your input everyone. I guess persistence and patience is key. I try to pick them all up once or twice a week. But maybe I should try more to show them I'm not a threat. Gently of course.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would say handle once daily at least if you want cuddly chickens.

I don't even try to handle my birds during the day, unless it's absolutely unavoidable.
    Grabbing them off the roost at night is when I do 'maintenance', much easier then.
    But I am not a chicken cuddler.

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I found sitting in the coop, just sitting quietly, for a bit each day. sometimes I dropped feed nearby, but mostly I sat quietly. Eventually, they would approach me. But I am like AArt, I really didn't like it. They tend to peck at your eyes, or earings. I like my chickens, and I do sit and watch them, but I don't encourage them to be cuddled. To each his own.

Mrs K

8. nativegirl

Mar 14, 2016
    North Carolina
    Well yesterday was good. I picked up most of them, some werent having it so I didnt fight it. But Im definitely a cuddly person so Im going to continue to follow Aart's advice and try to handle them everyday and hopefully they'll enjoy it eventually. It was pretty funny though handling my pecking order princess Ursula. When I put her down she was sqwak cursing me out Haha

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, just keep at it.
    They will squawk, and wiggle, and try to get away.
    You'll figure out how to hold them so they feel secure and settle down.
    Just stay calm and confident, talk softly to them.

10. nativegirl

Mar 14, 2016
    North Carolina
    They definitely struggle at first. But I have been talking softly to them and gently petting them, especially neck touchys. One of my smaller ones does actually enjoy it, as she almost fell asleep in my arms. Just have to keep it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by