Hanger-on broody hen???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ralleia, May 3, 2011.

1. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    I have two black australorps who have gone broody. Last night I tried unsuccessfully to move them to private quarters--they busted out of my makeshift arrangements and are now back on nestboxes--will try again today.

The question I have relates to a THIRD black australorp. This one is often very often found hunkered down on the nestbox perch just outside the box occupied by one of the broodies. When I approach, she fluffs up her feathers and growls just like the two broodies do.

What *IS* she doing???

Is she trying to get broody, too? Is she BFFs with the hen in the nestbox? What's going on here?

These broodies will be the end of me!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like she's thinking about it.

3. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    A few years back, a black australorp hen that hadn't gone broody "chicknapped" a baby chick from one of the two mommas that had been sitting, then proceeded to rear her instant offspring.

Maybe it's the same hen, and she doesn't *quite* have the the full trait for broodiness. She's just waiting for a chance to kidnap a new chick. I'll name her "Maysie" after the bird in Horton Hatches the Egg...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by