hanging cabbage

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 20tundra, Jan 10, 2010.

1. 20tundra

20tundra Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2009
    mississippi
    I tried the hanging cabbage idea on my chiks this morning. I hung it from the fence in the run with a coathanger and when I left there was cabbage flying everywhere. They loved it.

2. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    It is so cute. I slip a string through with a long screwdriver and then hang it on an old broomstick today it was a leafy lettuce and they are going nuts now.. lol

SO CUTE to watch them play ball with it though!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. Mountain Sunshine

Mountain Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    We made a wire basket to put our cabbage in, They go crazy over it, and it is so funny to watch it swing from one chicken to the other like they are playing kick ball with it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I HAVE to do this! Thankss

5. plight79

plight79 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2010
    Finger Lakes Region, NY
    I bought a head of cabbage this evening...can't wait to hang it and see how my chooks like it!

6. barngem

barngem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Mine could care less about cabbage. I was so excited to do this and they just ignored it. I put lettuce head in there and its all out fun for all.

7. Mountain Sunshine

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Quote:It keeps my group quiet busy for a long time! They love it!

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Just a word of precaution, to the cabbage in the metal basket.

Several weeks ago, one of my chickens showed up with a big blood blister on her ear. I asked several chicken people, and even posted here, I think, I was recommended to an online vet, so for $15.00 I asked. The vet suggested that I look at the fencing carefully, cause a chicken can stick her head through and pull back out, catching her ear.

So just an idea. mrs.K

9. Mountain Sunshine

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Mrs. K :

Just a word of precaution, to the cabbage in the metal basket.

Several weeks ago, one of my chickens showed up with a big blood blister on her ear. I asked several chicken people, and even posted here, I think, I was recommended to an online vet, so for $15.00 I asked. The vet suggested that I look at the fencing carefully, cause a chicken can stick her head through and pull back out, catching her ear.

So just an idea. mrs.K

When the basket is empty, it does not stay in the run. The cabbage fills up the basket! They do not stick their heads into the basket or through the basket. Actually when they finish what is in it, they leave it alone! A chicken could stick their head through the chicken wire if it is wide enough.​

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I just ordered one of these for each run. I hope nobody gets their silly head stuck in it!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by