Hanging feeders

alishaluvsducks

Hatching
Apr 6, 2016
Michigan
I am new to poultry and bought a hanging feeder from my feed store. Im wondering how to hang the feeder. Do i use chain or rope and how do I secure it to the ceiling of my garage?

Chain link is good because it's easy to adjust the height of it, or disconnect it if you want to take it out to clean, etc. (I used to take mine out to fill before I found a bendable bowl around Halloween ... now just pour the food in LOL)

welcome-byc.gif

As you are looking at suspending from such a great height I would suggest considering raising it by placing it on something vs. suspending -- cinder blocks, paving stones, wood blocks, etc work great. Hanging from lesser heights is certainly convenient, but the garage ceiling is a bit high and creates more hassle than benefit, imo. For hanging from lesser heights you want to anchor into something sufficient for bearing the weight (what size is your feeder?) - my feeder is anchored by a heavy duty lag hook that is screwed through a 2x4 with a locking nut on the end.

I am new to poultry and bought a hanging feeder from my feed store. Im wondering how to hang the feeder. Do i use chain or rope and how do I secure it to the ceiling of my garage?

I am too wondering about this. I currently have my feeders raised on paving stones but some of my girls sit on the edges and spill it all out. I have high ceilings in the poultry shed/stable so would not want it to turn into a swinging weapon but equally dont want rope/chain suspended accross multiple beams to anchor each feeder. I'm going to google for other ways around it.

I found this and am thinking maybe 5 inside for pellets, 2 for water and 1 for oyster shell and maybe 1 for pellets and 1 for water outside. They will not take as much space and there will be much less waste.

I like using small chain.
The stuff I bought was decorative chain but plenty strong enough for a feeder/waterer.
Use a screw eye on the ceiling and S hooks.
So much easier than trying to tie a knot exactly where you want it.
As they grow I just go up a link or two.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

using chains and hooks will be the best method

since you can move it up and down as needed

garage? just find a stud

here..

this is how i hang my feeder and waterer

the anchors are 2 for $1 (wal-mart)
the hooks 6 for $2 ?? (wal-mart)

it's in the nails area of the store-- should be close to the tire or tools center area

these anchor can hold up to 20 lb or something.. i'm not sure..

BUT be sure the stud you are hanging it from is strong and secured!. if not you will pull the whole thing down..

I hang mine for three reasons 1 easier to adjust height as everybody grows and 2 I have found that a hanging feeder that is away from walls is much harder for mice to get into The last reason is if adjusted to the right height it will save you a lot of feed I had a diy feeder mounted to a wall that held 50lbs of food that was feeding a lot of mice.Since switching to hanging feeders I seem to get about an extra 4-5 days out of a bag of food. The easiest way I found to hang them is to go to A dollar store and buy a cheap dog chain that already has a hook on each end. this allows you to either just throw the chain over the rafter and double hook or add a hook to the rafter and cut the chain in half and have two chains if needed. for about 5 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom