1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hanging heated waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by catschickies, Nov 28, 2016.

1. catschickies

catschickies Just Hatched

Nov 27, 2016
    Hi all! Thanks for the welcome! My friends knocked over their waterer some how 2 days in a row. It's a closed 1 gal plastic jug with screw on water tray. It's cold here already so I can't have wetness in the coop. Looking for a good heated one that also hangs..any ideas? Thanks in advance [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Mine doesn't hang, but it can't be tipped over. It's a 10 gallon tote with lid, horizontal nipples placed on the side and near the bottom of the tote, and a stock tank deicer that is okay to use in plastic. Advantages are that it only needed filled once a week and it stayed thawed down to the -12 F we had last winter. To raise it up I put it on an old footstool from a chair. It's kept outside in the covered run to keep the moisture out of the coop.

You could try a hanging bucket with horizontal nipples. Some people use a bucket with heater or you could buy a bucket that has a heater built in. You'd have to have a lid for the bucket so that the chickens wouldn't accidentally fall in. Horizontal nipples seem to be less likely to freeze compared to vertical nipples.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  3. Kasilofchrisn

Kasilofchrisn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kenai peninsula Alaska
    I have the Allied Precision 3 gallon plug in heated plastic waterer.
    It has the metal handle with centering notch to hang from.
    I hung it using brass decorative chain an eye hook and quick links.
    Easy to use and easy to clean.
    I bought mine locally here in AK for ~$35.
    I highly recommend it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by