Hanging meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Giddyup, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    I know you hang beef for 10-14 days...but not poultry? How come?

Can waterfowl/ducks be processed the same way as chickens?

2. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I refrigerate my chicken for 24 hours before freezing. I have since learned about soaking in brine to make the meat more tender.

If you do a search, you will find a few different posts on this subject.

As far as processing your waterfowl, you may want to search the "other poultry" section.

3. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe it has something to do with the size? Maybe meat density? Good question.

Letting chickens cool down good before freezing I'm told is almost a necessity. I borrowed a super sized ice chest from a friend who's a fishing charter captain when we did our birds. We let them sit in the ice after processing for 24 hours, then packaged them.

People who don't raise meat birds are missing out! They were hands down the best chicken I ever had..

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Beef and other animals that are hung are covered with a good layer of external fat. This keeps the meat from spoiling and drying out. If you hung a chicken for any length of time it would do both. Dry out and spoil. Aging is done to make the meat tender. After 24 hours a chicken is as tender as it is going to get.

5. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    That sums it up Cassie thanks!

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    When hunting it is not unusual for the game to sit for several hours expired before processing. YES we cut the throats even though dead and hung to the birds to let the blood drain for at least an hour. Then the birds were processed and soaked in refrigerated in brine for 24 hours before freezing. They were then thawed for 24 hours before cooking. They were always tender and moist. It is not uncommon in the orient and other third world countries to see poultry hanging in open air markets.

We have always bled all types of meat, by hanging. And some bloody types of fish were bled while still alive to keep the meat fresh(such as sharks).

7. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    On many a Saturday afternoon, my grandfather would dispatch a chicken, clean it, put it in a brown paper bag, and place it on an outdoor shelf on the back porch. The shelf was always in the shade, just large enough for the bag to fit, and high enough that the dogs couldn't get to it. On Sunday afternoon, my grandmother would get the bag down from the shelf and cook the chicken... always tasty and tender without any refrigeration.

8. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    The British will hang a bird for, like, forever to "ripen." WITHOUT REMOVING THE INNARDS.

The rest of the world calls it "rot."

There was a great scene in the miniseries "Shogun" about this.

The British are not known as cooks.

Gordon Ramsay notwithstanding.

I lived there six months. I learned to cook in self-defense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by