Hanging Older Heritage meat birds

Tasha55403

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2020
Came across this article and was curious if anyone has tried hanging their older heritage meat breeds. Early in the article it points out that we DONT hang chickens because they’re usually very young and tender. With the slower growing breeds though that would not be the case and I suspect they could benefit from it, done properly :)
https://honest-food.net/on-hanging-...2sk9rbEvMFaQNTRFxvHT7ZiQRgoBeWahXbMFodII47KxI

They use to put chickens in burlap sacks or wrap them in cloth.. Both of them soaked in milk and hung in cool place.. They would do this far longer than our 24-72 hrs which is the norm these days with dedicated broilers.

Interesting the tests done on shear force and moisture I.e. tenderness I have read are all done on CX,. They found no benefit past 24hr.. Then consider that the 72 hr period all came from more traditional meat birds that were 2-3x+ in age and had more active lives.

Be interesting to see if aged longer in an enviornment that prevented excess dehydration the effect it would have on tenseness and flavor.. Say two weeks which is the balance point in beef aging between loss and tendernesss/ flavor deepening.

Wrapping in the milk soaked cloth likely served a few purposes.. Prevented oxygen, fermented bacteria prevented dangerous bacteria mold and may have aided in aging along with the time its hung for.

It would be an experiment for sure.. Much less costly than a side of beef to try.

Plus the milk soaked cloth would contribute lactobacillis a good bacteria which would hold off the bad bacteria keeping ur chicken safe to eat.

Back
Top Bottom