Hanging out in the nesting box, but not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jahphotogal, Nov 29, 2012.

1. jahphotogal

jahphotogal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    CT
    My three wyandottes started laying a few weeks ago, right around 26 weeks of age. The two easter eggers are a few weeks younger and haven't started yet (and neither is squatting either, which the wyandottes started doing a week or so before they started to lay.) The youngest of all, a sweet little EE who is about 26 or 27 weeks, goes in the nesting box and sits there peacefully, just about every day, for 20 minutes or so, but doesn't lay. Normal?

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Normal. :). She is getting ready to lay. Practicing, you might say. :D

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Yep. Mine did that a week or two before they laid too. Practice makes perfect.......

4. jahphotogal

May 15, 2012
    CT
    Oddly, I did find more eggs in the box than usual -- I have three Wyandottes that are laying regularly (brown eggs) and this one's an EE who would lay blue, or so I've thought. But today we got four brown eggs! A mystery...

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    EEs because of their mixed heritage sometimes turn out to be brown egg layers. If she were mine I'd hope it was one of the Wyandottes that laid the accidental second egg in one day.

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ditto. EE's can lay blue, green, brown, 'tinted' (aka pink) and very rarely, whitish. Really has to be diluted genes for white but brown/tan happens fairly often.

7. jahphotogal

May 15, 2012
    CT
    A week has gone by and she's still sitting in the box a lot but not laying - since the day we got four, it's been back to 3, or sometimes 2, brown eggs every day. The other EE is squatting now so maybe I'll start getting something different soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by