Hanging Poultry?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CARS, Feb 4, 2009.

1. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

About 4 years ago we took some Cornish Cross broilers to our first butcher shop. They told us to keep the birds refrigerated for 24 hours before freezing. Like hanging beef for 14 days to allow some breakdown of the tissue thereby making it more tender.

Does anyone do this? Because when I talk to others about it they look at me like I just came down from Mars! To me it makes sense but why doesn't everyone do it??

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    some people let them sit a few days in the fridge and some don't. i have tried both and haven't noticed a difference.

hope you find what works for you. [​IMG]

3. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I normally soak mine in salt water and then change to fresh water after a couple hours and tuck into fridge or coolers to keep cold before freezing.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I hang mine for several days...if I had the space and such I would hang red meats until stuff grew on it! But I like to do meat kinda old school...I don't get to but it does give a whole new flavor...before you say [​IMG] that is what "aged" beef is

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yeah, many folks keep them in icewater in a cooler or two for a day or two before they freeze them.

6. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Quote:Some folks do it, some don't--- what it's doing is "relaxing" the meat , essentially taking it past the rigormortus (sp) stage-- so it's more tender.

7. CARS

Quote:Why the salt water soak? Preserving or is it like a brine used before smoking??

8. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    The brine kills some of the "stonger taste".

Before any bird is froze here, we always age it first. The birds are even aged before they go to customers, the difference between a properly aged bird and one that is not is tremendous.

9. CARS

Quote:Jeff, would you mind sharing your brine recipe and other info so I may try this?

10. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I don't brine any of my birds, I personally think it a waste of time. I work to hard to get that unique flavor in my birds to have it corrupted with a brine. [​IMG] Especially for the cornish, but it's more commonly used for heritage breed turkey's and older chickens such as roosters and hens. But then again I only raise the young cornish and bbw turkey's, unless I get a special request.

I'm sure somebody on here has a recipe for it. Also google it, you will find millions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by