1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hanging swollen egg shaped sack hanging from butt of hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmfocus, May 2, 2009.

1. jmfocus

jmfocus New Egg

May 2, 2009
    I everyone, I am new to the forum.

We have 10 hens 6+ months old. One of the hens has this problem. No feathers in this area and lots of discharge. This thing is really hanging like she is growing what I think only roosters should have. Any ideas?

John

2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    [​IMG] from arizona. I am very sorry I have no answers to your problem but I am sure that the friendly people here will be able to help you more.

3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I am sorry but I think this may be a prolapse, which is basically the egg/intestinal canal turning inside out.

If this is the case, it's a very serious problem which you may not be able to fix.

Search prolapse in the forum for further details.

Sorry your first post may be a sad one, but welcome anyway.

4. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    maybe shes eggbound?

5. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Can you feel an egg inside? It may be a softshelled egg. See if you can find a hole to work it out of. Sometimes soaking the area in warm water will help get the egg out if there's one there....If you don't feel an egg, you need to take some Preparation H, apply it to the area and GENTLY try to push it all back in. She likely will not take kindly to this, but you need to get it back in. It may take a few tries with the Prep H, and put her in a dark warm place so she won't want to make more eggs.....let us know.... [​IMG]

6. jmfocus

jmfocus New Egg

May 2, 2009
    Well her problem was prolapse. I tried soaking and working the egg out with no success. I had to put her down. I cut the sack open after I put her down and sure enough there was an egg with no shell or soft shell inside the protruding mass. It was like the canal separated from her tissue inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by