Hanging treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jolyn, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    My hens are not free range. I would love for them to be but due to predators i can't. I think they get bored sometimes even though i give them snacks daily and i put out oyster shell.

I thought i saw on here somewhere that there is a way to hang something up that they can peck at.....to keep them from pecking each other and to entertain them.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this?

Thanks for any info,
    Jodie

2. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I think I remember reading a post about that, and I believe it was a head of romaine lettuce they hung up.

Lisa [​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You can hang anything that they can peck at. I've hung grapes (thanks to my neighbors' grape arbor!). I've heard of people hanging cabbages, too. Get creative and hang goodies that will encourage them to work for it but still get rewarded.

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    This is kind of gross, but I have also heard of people hanging up a "maggot ball", something maggots would grow in. Apparently chickens love maggots, not that I have had any experience with that yet![​IMG]

5. Wendyba29

Wendyba29 Out Of The Brooder

We hung the ear corn that is sold for squirrels, Mine love it!! We hung it just high enough that they have to jump for it!! Great fun to watch!![​IMG]

6. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I have posted about this before, but it deserves a second mention. Purina make a treat called a Flock Block. For confined chickens it is great, plus they love it. It stopped all my feather plucking instantly. and I would think that birds confined for the winter would really appreciate something like this.

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    We are hanging a head of cabbage in the coop this winter so they will have some greens plus keep them busy. Probably hang one once a week or more. Seems I have read where the cabbage goes very quickly. Sounds like they will be having way too much fun. [​IMG]

8. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I have hung cabbage, lettuce and corn on the cob. In the hot summer I made sure it was cold.

It's like an activity w/a cool treat.

9. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    That sounds like fun! [​IMG] I haven't tried hanging anything yet but I bet the show they put on would be worth it. How would you hang something like a cabbage?

10. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:I wrapped it in twine and hung it from the top of the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by