hanging water and feed

goddesses

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
I dont understand the concept of hanging feeders and waterers. It seems if they are suspended they will swing, which I wouldnt think chickens would like. IF I would hang them, how high?

Right now I have them sitting on 2" high patio stones so at least they are above all the shavings. We use the smallest guppie net to sweep out the shavings in the water - cpl times a day. The shavings dont seem to deter the chicks from the grain, so we just pick the shavings out every so often.

Am I missing some important concept of chicken care?

Proud parent of 4 silver and 4 gold wyandotts

Oh my gosh. When/if you hang them then you will understand why people do this. You don't have to worry about shavings getting in there food and water, and they do not waste as much food when the feeder is hanging.
I hang mine were it is about neck high, they just can get there head over in it. As they grow I move it up. I hope this help's.

Last edited:
In an ideal situation you want the feeders and waters to be level with the back of the chicken. It makes it easier for them and you, in the long run.
My adult chickens absolutely destroyed any hope of keeping the bedding out of a feeder set on blocks even 4" tall as they would knock it over every day. Heathens!
It is so much easier to keep clean with it hanging and only the most active scratcher has trouble getting bedding up in it. But it still happens on occasion.

Not to mention the fact that by hanging them in the coop, you save valuable floor space. We used heavy (thick) link chain from the hardware store. The weight of the feed in our large, metal feeder and the weight of the water in our 3 gallon waterers keeps it from swinging.

anyone have pictures of a good hanging feeder??
like to construct or buy one for my hens

Back
Top Bottom