Hanging Waterer

a5ftfury

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
So I have the 5 gallon hanging waterer from Little Giant. I have it installed in my raised coop, about 6 inches off the floor of the coop so the chickens really have to reach to drink. So far this is a good height because minimal poo gets kicked in to the trough. The problem is, this means I have to lift this thing about 5 feet off the ground to hang it. This is no problem (aside from the fact that it's so darn heavy) because I can put the tiny cap/plug on the bottom to prevent the water from being released in to the trough until it is hung. However, taking it down when the trough is full (and DIRTY) is a disaster! How can I clean this out without spill all over myself and my bedding?

I have considered screwing an additional hole in top of the white part to insert a hose to fill up the cavity. The only hole is also the cap that serves as the handle. However, this still doesn't solve the full trough dilemma. What do you do?!

61389_miller.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm....
caf.gif
I would get a plastic tote and carefully scoot it underneath it, that way when you clean/open the trough part the tote would catch all the mess and splashes, you could even hose it out while the tote was under/around it. Then lift up the empty waterer scoot the tote out and then I think your putting a hole in the waterer was a good idea (maybe make the hole in the white part instead of the lid since it is how you hang it) and fill it back up. Hopefully this makes some sense. Good luck!
wink.png

That sounds interesting, I too have that style. I cannot lift it myself and the task goes to my DH. Because it's so heavy we keep it outside... and a smaller one indoors . I am curious about your outcome. Keep us up dated.

I have considered screwing an additional hole in top of the white part to insert a hose to fill up the cavity. The only hole is also the cap that serves as the handle. However, this still doesn't solve the full trough dilemma. What do you do?!

Just to let you know, that type of waterer is a vacuum system. If you drill a hole in the top of it, it will not work properly and will leak constantly. It needs the sealed space on the top to prevent the water from just flowing out. I would say the best thing to do would put the bottom plug back in and use a "drip pan" to catch water from the trough when you want to move it. With the plug in just tip the feeder to empty it enough to move. Hope that helps.

You might also consider the chicken nipples. The waterer does not have to be removed to filled.​

First, are you suuuuure the handle is designed for HANGING not just carrying. Many of them aren't, and won't last well if used that way.

Second, IME a hanging waterer is a great big kick-me sign for spills. It is great to have a rope on it so it can't tip over BUT it is best to have it sitting soundly ON something. Then it can't swing and spill. Also you will find it easier to hook up, since you just have to lift it up 8" or whatever onto its base, and then hook the (very slightly slack) rope on as sort of a safety cable.

Third, whether it is hanging (although again I seriously do not recommend that) or sitting up on something, the best way IME to deal with an ooky waterer is to have brought a small bucket or dishpan into the coop with you. Screw the plug onto the lower outlet of the waterer, then pick the waterer up just enough to tip its ucky water out into that bucket or dishpan. Now the waterer trough is empty and can't spill all over your legs when you carry it
wink.png
Actually, I do this every couple days (minus screwing the plug on, usually) just to dump any crud out of the trough part, which keeps the whole waterer cleaner for longer.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom