Hank is just asking to meet the soup pot!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heathero617, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    My alpha roo is just suddenly picking on EVERYONE is not biased based on sex . This is unaccetable for my chicken pen!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Bye, Hank!

3. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Maybe Hank needs a time out.
    Or would he settle down if you separate him with maybe one alpha hen.
    Soup is so final, albeit delicious.

4. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I've read advice on this site that suggests that Hank just needs a bunch 'o lovin' and (man-)handling. [​IMG] Pick him up and carry him around for like....hhhmmmm... an hour our so.

Maybe spend an afternoon giving him a bath - with a sharply aimed water bottle. If he is playing dirty, maybe he needs some cleaning up!?[​IMG]

Or, maybe some time out - so he can't play with anyone - would help put him back in his place - at the bottom of the pecking order. Maybe a couple of days away will give the rest of the flock some time to regroup and bond.

I do NOT have any experience with this - I am only guessing based on things I've read from other people.

Good luck!!!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    've never had ANY intentions on stewing any of my pets, dad wanted some of my last flock before the dog got them. But yanno? I don't allow my kids to be mean and i dont allow my dogs to be mean and the chickens are the only edible pets i have......he doesnt simmer down soon...he's going to soon be simmering!

6. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:LOL the other day, he pinned "baby elvis" >son's bird< in the wood line, i pulled him out by his tail feathers held him by his legs upside down for a few minutes in a "time out" didnt seem to adjust his tude at all.

7. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:LOL yes it is so very final, my dad wanted to take some for as i've seen mentioned here "freezer camp" and all i could say was "i wont be able to eat chicken at your house unless i see it come out of a purdue package!" I've never had fresh chicken, turkey i have but i have begn to wonder just how much better would it taste?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by