Hannibal the Pecking Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debilorrah, Nov 30, 2008.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I just wonder if anyone has ever had this problem: this chick is 15 weeks old and from day one has pecked and pecked and pecked. Now that she is bigger, it HURTS! I have always scolded her, but it doesn't do any good. I got her under my arm today and yelled at her and she looked ashamed.... BUT as soon as I put her down she started in on my pants and socks again! [​IMG]

2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

I see what you mean [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

I know she is a pullet though, and you think you have a roo. That behavior is not unheard of in a roo, but I have never heard of a hen like that from day one. And she is BO, and beautiful, pure bred. I don't want to lose her!

4. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Grab her beak and give it a shake when she tries it. Kinda monkey see monkey do in a way. She'll figure out she doesn't like it when you do it to her, so she won't do to you? maybe?

5. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

that is what you do to parrots to teach them not to bite - I didn't think about that.

6. debilorrah

I can sure try that. I will try anything at this point. The issue is catching her beak before she PECKS!

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My mean nasty Black Astralorpe pullet outgrew it and is now a pretty nice hen.

8. debilorrah

Quote:that is good news to me. She otherwise ok,. She doesn't fluff at me, or run at me aggresively, just pecks the poop outta me when I go in there.

9. debilorrah

I could use more ideas from seasoned pros....

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:I'd peck her back lol. I had a cat who liked to bite until i bit her back, she never bit me again.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by