Happily mix together???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by xxleandraxx, Jul 13, 2010.

1. xxleandraxx

xxleandraxx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Can most chickens of different breeds mix quite happily or are there certain breeds that can't???

xx

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have 16 different breeds in my flock. All get along fine.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. beth59

beth59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    I don't think it's so much mixing different breeds, but rather mixing different groups. You have to carefully integrate existing groups or flocks with newcomers, or younger birds with older birds. I believe there are several threads that have good explanations on how to do this. Still, there are often lots of squabbles before a new pecking order is established.

Beth

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I had wondered the same thing when I added to my small flock of two. I avoided Buff Orpingtons because I read they can be bullied in a mixed flock. However! I now have 1 EE, 1 Barred Rock, 3 Wyandottes, and 1 big Brahma girl. The Brahma and Wyandottes are together, and the Barred Rock and EE free range until I introduce everybody without fencing. I have not had any issues, and again I heard Brahma's tend to be lower in the pecking order, but this girl I got is sure making herself known as the Big Chicken. Everybody get's along so far great, no chest bumping through the fence or anything. Every now and then my Barred Rock goes to talk 'smack' to the younger Wyandottes, but that's the extent of it. I think mixed flocks are great for the variaty! I love looking out and seeing so many colors and patterns [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by