Happiness and EGGS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bellydancer, Oct 3, 2007.

1. bellydancer

bellydancer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    I had such a terrible time with my first chickens who both died within days of purchase. However, I'm very happy with my new chickens which I bought from an organic breeder near Greenville, TX. I got two Americaunas and one Black Australorp. The Americaunas are over a year old and are sisters and the Australorp is about 3 years old-- and her feathers are gorgeous! We got them on Friday after spending a couple of days sterilizing our coop. My husband and the hens got home about the time I got home from work. He made a few modifications to the coop while they "free ranged" in the pen in the yard and about 6 pm we put them in the coop. About 6:30, while my husband was out at the grocery store, I went to check on them and make sure they were eating and drinking, and I discovered one of them in the nest box sitting on two BLUE eggs! They had pushed the little plastic easter egg completely out of the nest box and laid TWO real blue eggs! I was delighted! My husband was saying he was going to call the one Americauna "Cathy" because she was so chatty. I'm guessing she was so chatty because she needed to lay two eggs! Two! So, yesterday was their second day and they only got to "free range" for a bit in the morning, and then they were cooped up until roosting time. They are not panting-- so I'm assuming they are drinking out of the waterer. They have eaten some of their food. We hope to get home in time for them to have an hour or two of "free ranging" in the yard tonight-- and, of course, the weekend is coming! No eggs yesterday evening-- but maybe today! Only the one hen has laid eggs so far-- and just the two that first evening. The lady who sold them to us gave us a dozen mixed eggs and my blue eggs are prettier and bluer than any of them. So happy! Just wanted to share some good news!!! [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

YAY! How exciting. Congrats on the eggs!

3. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm guessing she was so chatty because she needed to lay two eggs! Two!

You caught one in the act but I am sure that 2 americauna's laid them, a chicken needs at least 25 hours between eggs. Congratulations none the less....​

4. bellydancer

Sep 12, 2007
    Quote:You caught one in the act but I am sure that 2 americauna's laid them, a chicken needs at least 25 hours between eggs. Congratulations none the less....

Wha! Who knew! So, they're both laying! Happy dance!!!!

Thanks for the info. I'm afraid I already told everyone I never met that one chicken laid two eggs, though. (blush)

5. bellydancer

Sep 12, 2007
    Happy dance! Two more blue eggs last night![​IMG]

6. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I as SO totally jealous I bought an EE hoping for bue or green eggs got BROWN [​IMG] oh well they all taste the same I just wanted something a bit more unusual.

7. chick-e-pie

chick-e-pie Out Of The Brooder

Congrats.

I have two Americaunas who haven't started laying yet. I can't wait for that first easter egg.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  8. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    bellydancer

I'm glad you got your chickens. I know it was hard when you lost your first ones.
    Some feed stores don't know anything about caring for chickens!!

I hoope you have great luck with the ones you have now.
    We all want to see pictures!!!

Jean

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Congrats on your new girls.
    And the eggs.
    I'm glad you didn't give up after the first batch. [​IMG]

10. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    Woo hoo!!! Congrats! [​IMG]