Happiness is an overgrown compost pile

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Aug 26, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I started letting the girl go out for a few hours at a time and free range. Needless to say they love it. Today they found the compost pile and nearly ripped it apart!!! Must have been something in there they liked!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Great pictures, they look like they are having fun.

3. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    Love those fluffy butts!

4. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    cluck cluck gotta help momma spread the compost............

Great pics! and your hens are beautiful.

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    That's a nice colorful flock! In the video, don't you love it, like little kids in the candy store!

6. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

The funny part is when I let them out of the pen which is probably 30 yards away from the pile. Those who remember sprint/fly/glide over there with the whole flock in tow shortly thereafter. I was watching them and what I think they're eating are ants. There's a big nest of carpenter ants in the tree and old logs next to and under the pile. They scratch and pick the ants out. They're good sized also. I think that's why the chickens like them. A couple of them were the length of my thumbnail as well as pretty plump and juicy looking...[​IMG] There aren't all that many though. I guess they appreciate quality as much as we do. Of course there are the occasional grubs and worms that make up for any lack of ants. YUM!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by