Happiness is... moving the chicks outside! *pics*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OCchickens, May 16, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    I think anyone who raises chickens is familiar with the point at which the baby chicks outgrow their welcome in the house. We reached that point several days ago, so what a pleasure to get this little pen set up & move these guys outside, then vacuum up every last wood chip from the den!

[​IMG]

The white ones are my 2.5 wk old Trader Joe's specials!

[​IMG]

I had some wire shelving I got from my neighbors when they moved -- works great to cover the top!

I'll bring them inside in a little wire cage at night for another week or two, then maybe I'll have some coop space freed up for them!

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. You did good. Nice looking, happy little buggers.

I have a few more weeks with mine. I got some speckled sussex and had NOOOOO idea that they got so darn big.

3. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Quote:Would love to see pics -- don't know that breed.

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine Just LOVE IT!
    [​IMG]

I just never know if they will drowned from a sudden spring shower or burn up from too much direct sunlight.
    That's my daughter's "designer" umbrella. [​IMG] Hope she never finds out I used it for my chicks. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Moving them out becomes easier once you see how happy they are to be out and how much they thrive.
    They look great!

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I understand that sentiment about wanting them out!! I am happy to have the laundry room to myself again!!! They chicks are much happier outside. [​IMG] Now if the weather would just warm up a bit.

7. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Quote:Cute! Love the umbrella! Mine just have a piece of cardboard laid on top for shade.

Here in Southern California we can pretty much count on no rain til October.

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I'm using two of the exact same wire shelves as a cover for my brooder! [​IMG]

9. Sactown Chickens

Sactown Chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    I've been putting mine out on the lawn every day for a week now. I can't get over how much they love hunting for bugs in the lawn. I use a system very much like the one in your photo. Works great!

10. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    DS and I spent the day shifting everyone around so we could get 32 5 week olds out of the house. Luckily DH took a few to the auction today and that freed up a small run and coop so for the time being they are in this small run area. Its 3 feet wide by 10 feet long so they have alot of space compared to the big boxes they were in the laundry room. They won't be in there long as DS is building another coop as we speak. Hes using pallets and it really looks good so far I will post pics when hes finished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by