Happy 4th of July Chicken People :)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Monk422, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Monk422

Monk422 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Manteca, Ca
    Girls are hot. Just wondering what other people do to cool down the chickens? I threw out a bunch of crushed ice yesterday and they had a little but mostly not amused. We have a lot of cement around our patio so we sprayed that down a couple of times. They do have shady area under bamboo but they still look miserable.[​IMG]

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    You can freeze 2 gallon jugs of water and put them out for them to lean against, or if possible run an extension cord out and hook up a fan pointed at the coop/run to cool them down. You can also put out shallow pans of water for them to stand and wade in.

3. Monk422

Jan 6, 2011
    Manteca, Ca
    Ahhh thanx. Filling up an old tub as we speak.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I decided to put a little gatorade and a pinch of cherry jello in their water today to keep them hydrated.

5. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Happy 4th of July to you also. It is not quite as hot here. Only chicken here that is panting is my sick Red.

6. Monk422

Jan 6, 2011
    Manteca, Ca
    Now it's not the heat, it's the fireworks! Every single time I look at my chickens, I wonder where their hands are!! Seriously. And on nights like this, they could use them. This also begs the question: where those "chicken fingers" come from?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by