Happy and sad news

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by StrayMagnet, Oct 12, 2011.

1. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Well I been MIA a while, just have had no time to get on the computer. but I have some Sad and Good news

we can start with the Sad first

I lost 4 baby's between monday and yesterday. I went to feed them on Monday morn and found one of the chicks dead.,, all the rest were lively and happy.
    then yesterday I went to feed them and 2 were dead and one near death. so I reluctantly "culled" the one near death. was the hardest thing I had to do. Did not think I could do it.
    but I thought it was better then him/ her suffering. So I made another choice that was hard for me to make. due to my Funds being so limited and unable to construct thier Enclosed coop/house rite now.
    Instead of them all living in their un-enclosed coop .. I decided to Free range them. to give them out of the coop time. Hubby thinks that now that they are bigger they may been fighting, and that is why the 4 Died that Died. so he and i figured it was for the best. being as momma was a wandering chicken free to roam to begin with. and she's been living under there with the baby's since may that they will return to where they sleep each night. and I will let happen happen. if they return, then awsome.. if they choose to not return then I will have to live with that. esp if it means they can find a more warm place with more space to sleep.

so yesterday I open the door to the pen and they all ran around our yard. and when dusk started I went out and everyone fallowed me rite into the coop!.. so I felt Hmm this can work. as they stayed in the yard just fine.

Today I open the door this morn and Spread their Feed in the grass around the coop. so they can scratch all they want.. they wandered into the neighbors yard and I let them know when they got home if they saw a chicken and baby's in their yard their mine. that I free range them now that the baby's are older. and she said no prob.

but I got some pics of a few of the remaining baby's. Now that they all been out exploreing the yard yesterday adn today.. I'm starting to feel better about it. I just keep a eye on them going out to see where everyone is every few hours. and around 5/6 at night I start to try to corral them back into the coop and close it for the night. so hopefuly they know and remember where to go back to..

but funny part it.. Mom was fallowing me eveywhere yesterday.. i was out there with a feed can tossing feed in diffrent spots of the yard and I look and she's fallowing me.. hubby's laughin at me. well I then realize that A>. i am carring the feed can. and it' RED!! so so yea I think it was not me.. it was the FOOD she was fallowing lol

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. ziL

ziL Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Oswego County, NY
    Oh, I'm sorry for the chicks you lost. [​IMG]

3. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Sorry to hear about the dead little ones. How sad. I hope the free ranging keeps working for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by